Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Comments for Kids in October

technology around the world
C4K # 4


USHRS
My C4K assignment was to comment on a USHRS blog post. The author is Noah and he is a part of a group called USHRS. This stands for US History Research Seminar. The Quad103 group is made up of students from Portland, Oregon; Baltimore, Maryland; Iowa, and France. In Noah's post he states that his group has been working on a project. In this project they are to answer questions about American Identity and to report to the class. His group decided to do a documentary style video of interviews. Noah explains that in the past he has been a procrastinator and that this year he decided that he wanted to change. So when his group started to meet about the project, he expressed firmly his desire to work really hard to get things done early so they wouldn't have to be rushed and stressed at the end. By the first weekend of their three week period, Noah and this group had already gathered all the video interviews they needed for their project. Noah had figured that it would take four to five hours of video editing max. to produce a seven to ten minute video. However, it took one whole hour just to produce the first thirty seconds. He could have completed the project in the time he had allotted but it would not have been the quality video he wanted. Noah said that he learned two lessons from this experience. First, always allow yourself  extra time  and second, figure out how much time you think you need and double it. 

In my comments I explained who I was and where I was from. I commented that I was surprised that he was concerned with changing his bad habits in the 11th grade. I explained that it took me a little while longer to figure that one out. I also told him that I wished I had figured it out earlier so that I wouldn't be 41 years old and still in college. I told him that I thought this project was a wonderful way to gain learning experiences. Noah and his group would be learning time management, teamwork and organization skills. I told him that I was having to work with two groups here at school, and that I was lucky because both my groups work together well. I knew that not all groups were so lucky. I praised him for his decisions and commitment. I also encouraged him to continue and reminded him to don't let up.



C4K#5

You can’t expect it…it just comes
You can’t expect it…it just happens
You can’t expect it…it just starts
Whether a teacher tells you, or a parent tells you, you may never know when it happens.
For this so called thing that I am talking about could be a phone call, or maybe a visit from a friend.
But what I am talking about, does not have anything to do with a phone call or a visit from a friend.
What I am talking about, is RAIN

The above is the post from my C4K . Her name is Hannah and she is in the 5th grade. I started out by asking her if she was sure she was in the 5th grade. I thought she used a lot of thought when preparing her post for a fifth grader. I agreed that rain is so unpredictable that even weather men can't predict it correctly sometimes. I shared with her that my kids like to get out and play in rain when it is not thundering and lightening. I told her that I like to take a nap or read when it rains. I asked her what she liked to do when it rains. I told her that I don't like the thunder and lightening. I encouraged her to keep up the good work. I complimented her on her creativity. 



I wonder what pets think about and how there perspective is to the world. Do they have the same thoughts as us?  Do fish and  hamsters think we’re giants? What do they think about us walking on 2 feet? They’re probably like, “Wow, are those creatures weird. Why don’t they walk on 4 feet instead of 2? I mean, it’s  just creepy!” But they could always think different about that and wish they could do it all day.  Do they ever wish they could find out how to make a vacuum be quiet? Well, to them it’s probably just a really big   thing that makes a scary sound. Do they ever wish that they could open a refrigerator and take all of the delicious food and eat it behind their owners backs? I think it would be really interesting to find out what they think. That’s why I sometimes wish to be an animal but I would be able to turn back into a human whenever I wanted to.
I also commented on another post of Hannah's. I expressed that I thought her comments were very creative and thoughtful. She really puts a lot of thought into her writing. She thinks about things that I haven't really given much thought about. I asked Hannah if she thought that animals ever laugh at humans. I also asked her what animal would she choose to be. I explained to her that I would have to think about that one a little while longer. I closed by encouraging her to keep up the good work and that I looked forward to hearing from her again. 




C4K #6


My C4K is Brianna and she didn't write a post but had created a slide show on Animoto. The pictues in the slide show were amazing. I explained that I had also completed an assignment using Animoto. I asked her if she had ever used Prezi. I told her that I wished she lived closer because I might could use her to help me get my project done. I asked her if she had ever been to Montana since Alberta, Canada is not too far from Montana. I encouraged her to give a little more details about her pictures on her next slide show. I closed by encouraging her to keep up the good work. 


She responded by saying that she had not heard of Prezi. She also shared that she liked learning about technology. She answered my question by saying that she had not been to Montana but would like to go there one day. She also explained that the pictures in her slide show were just some pictures that she liked. She closed by thanking me for commenting on her post. 


C4K #7

Ireland in October


It simply stated that the blog had been set up to allow us to follow their journey through Ireland during the month of October.

I again explained who I was and what I was doing. I looked over the other posts and saw some amazing pictures they took as they traveled. I shared that when I first saw the post St. Patrick, that I automatically thought of the holiday. I now understand there is so much more to the name. I expressed my desire to be traveling with them and learning about Ireland's history. Learning things that I wouldn't forget about in a weeks time. I closed by thanking them for sharing their journey with us.






1 comment: