Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blog Post # 5

The iSchool Initiative

In this video, The iSchool Initiative, Travis Allen promotes the idea of the iSchool. He argues that the iSchool is the answer to the massive financial bind that our schools are in. He discusses how schools are experiencing budget cuts, loss of teachers, and increased class sizes. Travis suggests that the schools could save money by using technology in the form of iSchools. In the iSchools, the iTouch would replace copiers, paper, books, and pencils which in turn would save valuable resources. In the video, Travis shows how the iTouch can be used for learning in the classroom. There are so many different types of apps that are available for students to use. Some of the apps were: email, chemical touch, star walk, formulae, recorder, scientific calculator, notes, and calendar. The email app allowed the teacher, student, and parents to stay in contact with eachother.  Formulae is an app that has all the different formulas that are used in math and science. The scientific calculator is just that- a scientific calculator without having to purchase one. The calendar app helps students to keep up with important dates, assignments, and school events. Travis breaks down the cost of the iSchool verses the cost of books and materials needed in a traditional classroom. The cost of iSchool,  $150 per student compared to the $600 per student for traditional teaching, is incredible. He also states that students would have limited access to internet for safety purposes. Travis challenges us to help revolutionize education by embracing mobile learning. He wants us to "rethink, retool, and rebuild" our educational system. We can do this by joining him and his team in The iSchool Initiative.

Once again I am amazed by all the technology available. Travis Allen is very resourceful and creative 17 year old.  I know that I will hear his name again in the future. His views of the school were right on target. I knew exactly what he was talking about when he mentioned budget cuts, loss of teachers, and increased class sizes. My eighth grader is currently taking science online because the school decided not to replace a teacher who had retired. Unfortunately he has never had any formal computer classes. Since being in this class, my eyes have  been opened to the technology and tools that are available if one will only look for them. I know that this idea can be a reality because our EDM310 class is set up like this. His idea of the iSchool is creative, imaginative, and fun. I know that most students would prefer this form of teaching. It promotes learning in a new and exciting way. While I can appreciate and visualize this idea of mobile learning, I also have to consider the reality. One reality would be that some teachers would use this to replace important opportunities to interact and discuss in the classroom. Even as an adult, I perform better in classes where I can ask questions and interact with my peers. Although this may not be a problem for all students, it could be a problem for some.  I read in a post where students were actually having difficulty focusing on the lesson because they were so distracted by the other things that they could be doing with the devices. I would think that access to the internet could also be a problem. Since I am from a rural area, I understand the difficulties associated with availability and cost of internet service. With technology changing so fast, another concern I would have is teachers would not be able to keep up with the ever changing information and therefore would not be able to provide the students with accurate information. This is another example of what I have learned by being in this class. (What works in August might not work in September). I commend Travis for his initiative to see a problem and form an idea to fix it. I just don't know if it is realistic in all situations. However, I think that for those schools where these concerns are not valid, they should initiate iSchool immediately.
Zeitgeist Young Mind's Entry



Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

This video was simply amazing. This video depicted an incredibly, creative conglomeration of 185 voices. That fact alone is incredible, but to find out that each person was at a different location and that they had never practiced together is just insane. Where do people come up with these awesome ideas? And we want to take classes out of our schools that inspire creativity. Where would this leave people like Eric Whitacre? Once again I am completely and utterly speechless. Technology keeps on making me think more and more outside the box.
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir


Teaching in the 21st Century

In this video, Kevin Roberts explains that technology provides us with all the knowledge that we need and that the "traditional classroom" is  becoming "obsolete". He also states that teachers are no longer the source of knowledge but rather a filter for knowledge. I agree with a lot of things that Kevin said because I believe that students learn better by doing.  I now understand that practically everything that you want to know is only a few key strokes away.  I  will even admit that I think that these tools are great for engaging students and teaching high thinking skills. However, I don't think that they can replace teachers. Students need that personal interaction. They need someone they can go to when they don't understand what to do. They need to know that someone cares how they feel and what they think. I don't think that "traditional teaching" should be completely thrown out the door nor should technology be the sole source of knowledge. To function in the world, students need to be able to use both tools in their everyday life. I know that there are some schools that are already teaching in the 21st century while others are lagging way behind. This affects me tremendously as an educator. How do I teach in the 21st century when the technology is not available for my students to use? How do I find the time to teach technology when I have standards that I also have to teach? I could see these concerns as major problems.

Teaching in the 21st Century


baby wearing a headset





Flipped Classroom

I was assigned to watch 4 videos about FIZZ (Flipping the Classroom). The concept is for students to watch videos at home explaining what they would be learning the next day in class. This prepared the students to come to class with prior knowledge about the subject being taught. The students were required to take notes on the video and return to class the next day with questions they had. During class the next day, they would spend 90% in application and 10% in lecture, instead of, spending 90% in lecture and 10% in application. This technique allows the students to work in collaboration and learn more efficiently. It also allows the teacher to put her focus on the students that need more help.  I'm glad that Katie included FAQ with her video. She cleared up a lot of my concerns. One of my concerns, as stated above, would be that students would not have access to internet. I thought the idea of using jump drives and CDs was a great idea. Another concern that she addressed was that they made accommodations for those students that didn't have computers.  I also found it interesting that the students usually watched the video the night before because they didn't want to miss out on class time because they were doing their homework.  I could see FIZZ being used in the classroom. I also can see how it makes the classroom more efficient and creates more time for application.

Why I Flipped My Classroom
Flipped Classroom- FAQ
Dr. Lodge McCammon's FIZZ- Flipping the Classroom
Flipping the Classroom- 4th Grade STEM

2 comments:

  1. Stacy,
    Your blog post was very well written and extremely discriptive. I did find one or two grammtical errors. In your first paragraph "eachother" should have a space in between is and also in "student, teacher, and parents" you should use plural all around or not at all. I also noticed that your pictures were not sourced. I saw that each video was hyperlinked and the authors were given credit. very well written blog. I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,

    Overall, this is a good post. However, you could make the sections titles clickable links so you don't have to include the link at the end of section like an afterthought. Just an idea. Also, Travis Allen is now 20 years old, not 17. He and his iSchool Initiative team came and spent a day with us over the summer and they were super cool and knowledgeable. I would have jumped at a chance to go to an iSchool when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete