Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blog Post 2

Did You Know? 3.0 A John Strange 2012 version

For my blog post 2 assignment I watched Did You Know? Version 3.0  A John Strange 2012 Version based on Did You Know 3.0  Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod. In this video Dr. Strange brought out some fascinating facts that I did not know. His first interesting fact stated that the United States compared to India is way behind in academics. Secondly, the fact that more Chinese have either learned English or are learning English than the number of people in the whole US is more fascinating but even more disturbing. In this video Dr. Strange also shows how rapidly technology is growing in our world and that pratically everyone has access to it.

This video was a real eye-opener. Although I knew that there were other countries ahead of the US academically, I didn't think that India was one of them. It blows my mind that another country would have more people speaking the English language than the United States. It just goes to show that there is so much more information out there for us to learn. I think that what Dr. Strange really wants us to understand is that technology is growing at a rapid pace and that we have to learn how to use it in order to be successful. As future teachers we also have an obligation to our students to learn technology in order to help them be successful in their future. We need to invest in and emphasize technology in order to be able to compete in the world now and in the future.

Mr. Winkles Wakes

The video Mr. Winkles Wakes by Mathew Needleman is an animated cartoon. In the video there is an old man named "Mr. Winkles" who has been asleep for a long time and wakes up to a world filled with technology. Deciding that the technology makes him feel bad he decides to go to the hospital to make him feel better. Unfortunately he starts to feel even worse when he gets to the hospital because the hospital if filled with technology at every turn. He then decides to leave the hospital and wanders around until he finds a school. Once inside the school he starts to feel better because in the classroom the teacher lectures to the students and doesn't use technology. He leaves feeling better because he has now found a place that hasn't changed.

I have to be honest and say that I often feel much like "Mr. Winkles". The thought of technology often leaves me feeling sick and panicked. I dare say that I am quite sure that many people feel like this. I also know that technology is very important and I am thankful for it when I get sick and need the technology to help me get better. So I guess the question would be, how do you learn and accept technology without feeling sick and panicked when you are faced with it? I don't know the answer to this question other than to say that I am taking it one step at a time. Technology is very much a part of the world. Regardless if I like the change or not it is here and I can either get on board and see where it takes me or I can decide not to and get left at the station. The choice is mine and I choose to get on board and hope that the motion sickness eventually goes away.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

In the video The Importance of Creativity by Sir Ken Robinson he stated that, "Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status." He recognizes that education has completely destroyed the importance of creativity in today's schools. He talked about how schools everywhere place the importance on math and languages then humanities followed at the bottom with arts. He argues that intelligence isn't just about scores on a test. Intelligence is diverse, dynamic, and distinct. Intelligence can come in many forms and should not be limited to a certain way of thinking. Children are like intelligence that they come in many forms. So when they don't fit that certain way of thinking, such as children with ADHD, they should not be made to feel like they don't measure up and that something is wrong with them. Instead we should find out where they are highly talented and put the value there. Robinson was correct in saying "We are educating people out of their creative capacities." This is a sad but true reality.

I found the video The Importance of Creativity to be completely true. Our school systems totally repress creativity. Even the tests are geared to view things in one way and without interpretation. Teachers are much like "Mr. Winkles" where they don't want change and instead continue in their "traditional teaching" methods. In "traditional teaching" the students are given lecture style instructions and are never given the opportunity for hands on learning and creativity. Not only is creativity taken out of the classrooms but when funding is cut most schools cut the arts programs first. Many schools have very limited areas that encourage creativity which leaves the student to determine their value in the areas the school places its emphasis. This then leads to many teachers viewing students who do not perform well in math and languages hopeless and unteachable. This in turn makes the student feel the same. Instead we need to see these students as Robinson noted, "for the hope that they are."

A Day Made of Glass 2

This video A Day Made of Glass 2 by Corning was absolutely amazing. Corning has really used amazing creativity to come up with this future technology. The technology that they can come up with is just incredible. This video also showed how many different areas that technology can contribute to. It leaves me speechless and terrified all at the same time. I look forward to seeing this technology in the classroom. Children would enjoy learning when they can experience it in this way. Although I don't know if this technology will be available during my time of teaching, I can see my grandchildren having access to tools like this. I asked myself during this video Where would we be in technology without creativity.

This video confirms that technology is the way of the future and we can not continue without change and be able to keep up with the world around us. People who do not like technology have to realize there is a lot of great things that come from technology. I think that a lot of people don't like technology because they weren't raised with it. Now they learn just enough to get by. Today, most students have some knowledge of technology but unfortunately all schools are not equal in technology and what some students have access to other students do not. If we can teach them how to use these amazing tools then hopefully they will not feel the same way about technology. We don't know what the future will hold. The possibilities are endless.




computer lab

2 comments:

  1. Your links in Part 1 are not done correctly. They do not work.

    "His first interesting fact stated that the United States compared to India is way behind in academics." No. It is a matter of population size. You could say that the 25% of the population in India with the biggest ears outnumbers ALL of the people in the United States with two ears.

    "Secondly, the fact that more Chinese have either learned English or are learning English than the number of people in the whole US is more fascinating but even more disturbing." Why is it disturbing? I would think someone entering the education profession would be excited to see learning occurring.

    Your conclusion for Part 1 is right on target!

    Mr. Winkle, not Winkles. Are you familiar with the book Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving? Look it up.

    Motion sickness? Literally? My wife says that sometimes when she uses the computer. Now that she has switched to an iPad she has no such complaints.

    "Although I don't know if this technology will be available during my time of teaching,..." Before ten years have passed. Whether in the schools or not is an open question. There may be no schools by then. Watch for a special blog post assignment that will be posted soon to address this exact question.

    Thoughtful. Honest. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your second blog post. I understand how you can feel nervous and excited to move forward with technology. I also agree that some teachers today, as seen in Mr. Winkles video, are not willing to make a change in advancing in technology. I am also a parent and want my children to be taught with top-of-the-line technology and prepare them for the future. It also, blows my mind that our children and grandchildren could be taught in a classroom like the, "Day of Glass".


    I seen a couple of mistakes in the first two paragraphs. The link looked like you wrote it twice. There were a few commas missing. In front of the word, "but" and after the word, "understand".


    In the second two paragraphs about, "Mr. Winkles Wakes", I would put a comma behind the word, "bad". I liked your analogy a how technology can make you feel,"motion sickness". As fast as technology has and is evolving, I can understand that statement completely. I also like the fact that you are willing to, "get on board", instead of ,"being left at the station". That is a positive and good attitude to have.


    In the third two paragraphs I liked how you summarized the video and your thoughts on it. A sentence in the second paragraph, "Many schools have very limited..." could be written differently. Also a comma before the word, "but" in the same paragraph. I liked how you ended you post with how you feel about technology. I think overall you have written a great post!

    ReplyDelete